- This event has passed.
Transition University – Fall 2021
October 10, 2021 – November 30, 2021
Presented by PEATC in collaboration with the Virginia Department of Education
Life is full of transitions. For families of children with disabilities, thinking about the future can bring mixed emotions. Some families are just trying to make it through day-to-day challenges and might not feel they have the energy to think about what happens after high school. Others may want to plan for that transition, but are confused by unfamiliar language, complex steps, and the many agencies that maybe involved in adult services.
Join us for this FREE 5-week SELF-PACED online course that focuses on providing parent-friendly transition information to help make transition planning easier. This course is designed for parents/caregivers of elementary, middle or high school students that receive special education services. The goal is to share factual information on transition services and to help make the transition from school services to the adult services world less confusing. Participants who complete the full course will receive a certificate of completion showing 6.5 hours.
Topics covered in this course will include:
– What do we mean by Transition and Why is it Important?
– Supported Decision Making, Power of Attorney, Guardianship, and Age of Majority
– Future Planning including Special Needs Trust, ABLE Accounts, and Letters of Intent
– Transitioning into Independent Living (employment, further education, housing, etc.)
– Connecting to Your Community and to Adult Services (waivers, SSI, VR, etc.)
– And much more!