Housing is another important topic to think about while your child is in the transition years. When your child is young, it can be really hard to think that far into the future. But it’s important to do so. Where do you see your child living when high school is over? And where is it that they want to live? Will they be going to college and living in a dorm, in an apartment by themselves, or in an apartment with support services or supervision? Do you think they’ll always live with family? Maybe they’ll live in a group setting with little support or maybe a group setting with lots of supports.

It’s important to try to see 5, 10, 15 years down the road so that you can build the services and supports that will provide your child with the skills they need to reach their vision. Your child’s case manager or someone from your local CIL may be able to help you with exploring different types of housing, including apartment living, supported living (an apartment with staff available to help the individual), share living (where a roommate provides companionship and minor supports), and more.

If your child has a developmental disability and wants to live on their own (with appropriate supports) you may want to check out the state’s special housing voucher program run by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services. Other housing assistance programs are also available. You can check with your CIL, CSB, the Virginia Housing and Development Authority (VHDA) or your local public housing authority.

Table of Contents