Overview of Programs and Services

There are many programs and services that your child may be able to participate in during high school that will help them reach their post-secondary goals. Remember, the Transition Plan is not a fixed document. When situations or goals change, the plan should change too. That includes when new or different services are needed or available from partner agencies. You can ask your child’s team to hold an IEP meeting whenever you think one is needed.

It sometimes comes as a surprise to parents when they learn that adult services need to be accessed separately and that each has its own eligibility requirements (how you qualify for services). In many cases, the family has to coordinate adult services for their children.  To not have a gap in supports that the your child needs, it’s important to learn about adult service agencies and programs while  your child is in high school, or before.


 Special education is an entitlement program meaning if your child meets the IDEA eligibility criteria, they must receive the needed services. Adult services, however, are for the most part, eligibility-based. That may sound the same but it isn’t.

Most adult programs and services have their own established eligibility criteria and may have limited funding. Not all youth with disabilities will qualify for adult services even if they had an IEP. There is no single point of service coordination in adult services. And there are often waiting lists for adult services like vocational rehabilitation, Medicaid waivers, etc.

Below are just a few of the services your child may be able to benefit from during the transition years and beyond:

Table of Contents