It’s important to prepare your child to take on adult responsibilities. Here are some ways to do so.
- Have them be involved in and make decisions at an early age
- Support your child to participate in or even lead their IEP meetings
- Ask if they want to invite someone of their choosing to their IEP meetings
- Help them to develop good relationships with school staff and staff from other agencies working with them
- Offer help if they seem overwhelmed, but don’t take over.
Here are some of the adult responsibilities that you will need to consider as your child turns 18: